Tuesday, January 27, 2009
The Satyam probe
Now, there are so many open questions that it seems that there are so many mysteries to resolve, and the former Satyam Chief is sitting in jail, with some police investigators getting access to him. For some arcane reason, SEBI investigators are unable to get access to Raju, currently in jail (The Andhra High Court has refused SEBI the permission to do so even though a huge amount of investor money went down the drain).
- How many employees does Satyam have ? There are multiple reports about whether it has 53,000 employees or it has a lower number of employees with contradicting statements from the board and from the public prosecutor
- How did Raju divert money away from Satyam to the extent that a software company that has a large margin is very low on money ?
- What are the exact details of the Andhra Government support to Maytas (a company also run by Raju and his family) ? It has a huge amount of Government contracts that are now in jeopardy. In fact, the contract for the Metro was so controversial that the head of Delhi Metro (Mr. Sreedharan) stepped away as a consultant with a talk about this being an unfair contract (and the Andhra Government threatened him with a defamation lawsuit).
- Why has the investigation into this huge fraud case not yet handed over to a central agency with the ability to do a financial and criminal investigation both ?
- Will the money that has been diverted away from Satyam ever be recovered ?
- What was the level of interaction between Raju and the Congress Government of Y Rajsekhar Reddy ?
- What was the exact role of the auditors given that they appear to be grossly incompetent, and maybe involved in a criminal conspiracy ?
There are so many other questions, and yet there are no good answers. The investigation is continuing, but already questions are emerging about whether this is a fair investigation, or whether this is an attempt to try and protect Raju. For a scandal that is India's largest and casts a negative impression on the overall positive India story, the investigations needs to be time-bound and very thorough.
To be updated when a new post is made, click on the icon Site Feed
Satyam saga dipped in different spice
is there too....
leave comment if liked the taste
Links to this post: